Saturday, October 1, 2011

Week 23: A Brave New World. Of Solid Food.

Things I have Learned:

The best 5 minutes of each week is invariably when I find some silly noise that makes Sammy laugh uncontrollably. This week was sticking out my tongue and making funny noises as he cackled. Is there anything better than a baby laughing? Maybe a good scotch?

The second best part of the week (which lasted about 100 glorious minutes) was when Sammy fell asleep during his Saturday morning feeding and slept for another 1.5 hours. GLO-RI-OUS I say. He slept until 9:15am!

We’re in for a fascinating ride with this whole solid food thing. A text from our nanny on the first day: “He was too funny with the cereal. He ate it all AND drank his milk. He's gonna be a big eater.”

Somewhere along the way I got old. Last year at this time, we were leaving the house at 10pm or 11pm, going out and coming home at 2-3am. Often we’d go find a piece of pizza or make some mac & cheese when we got home. Last Friday we went out at 6:30pm. By 9:30 I had cut myself off after 3 drinks because I was getting up at 6:30am (I have learned). Then, instead of pizza or junk food, somehow I end up buying some greek yogurt (what, it was on sale!) and heading home.  What the hell happened?

You'd think that eating solid foods would be incredibly exciting for Sammy. An explosion of taste! Except that he gets to start off with a progression of the blandest foods in the world. Rice cereal gets you to oatmeal which gets you to.....wait for it...BARLEY! How lucky for him.

Surviving long car rides requires some real creativity. When all the toys stopped being interesting and when I had a headache from shaking my head making silly noises – I remembered that Sammy might be fascinated things I might find, say, mundane. Sammy, meet my water bottle. It was love at first sight and it got me through a good hour of pain free driving.

I’ll bet that based on past posts to the blog on poo-namis, and the general excitement we live with in relation to Sammy’s biological functions that you thought there would be some awesome post about what solid food means in this regard. Well let me tell you – you’re going to have to imagine it. Because words will not do it justice. Seriously. I'll only tell you that we experienced it in synagogue on Roch Hashanah. And man, it was special.


1.       The term : “Baby Snatcher”

Ba-bee snatch-er
–noun


Baby Snatcher. Usually, and adult whose children are grown up that will come and snatch a baby from   whoever is holding him or her without regard for: a) the baby and b) the person holding said baby.)

           Example: “holy cow! I just got baby jacked by that Baby Snatcher!”

Watching Danielle and listening to her “SO CUTE” and “AWWWWWW!” comments in the Carter outlet store made me think she may have wanted a baby just to buy it cute baby clothes. Or not – but man, she was enthusiastic. 

I'm  a little worried for the next couple of weeks. Sammy has discovered that when he gets excited, annoyed etc... He can violently thrash his arms up and down, pounding on his abs.  I'm worried because upon closer examination, his arms are long enough to reach his....er...nether regions. And when I say pounding I mean it. That could really hurt a guy!

      Things Samson tried to eat this week: My tie, my tallis (prayer shawl), the rug, Danielle's chin, a spoon, a leaf. Too many other things to document....    

 
Important Statistics we are tracking: 

-    Number of people that saw Danielle breast feeding while she was sitting on a bench outside of Lincoln center when a show got out: hundreds

-     Number of consecutive nights without waking up: 7
       
      Number of times I got lucky enough to call Danielle to take care of the biggest poo-nami I have ever seen because I had to take a work call: 1. And I found it hilarious. Her, not so much....
       Number of dogs that Sammy tried to ride: 1 (ok, so we put him on the dog...)  

      Things we googled this week:

-          baby starting to feed solids

      5 month old arm flapping (do not google things like this online if you value your sanity)

Pictures for your amusement:

Giants win!

Like any true Giants fan, Sammy already knows:  a 13 point lead in the 4th quarter was a real nail biter

Ummmmm....I don't think this is on right.

When the heck did it get cold out: All geared up for the fall.

Dressed for Rosh Hashana. And standing on the hood of our car.

This picture has several things going on. 1) Baby Snatcher!  2) Sammy can still get away with this, but eventually we'll have to explain what is ok, and not ok to grab.

Sammy, this is a dog.

Sammy, just this one time you can ride the dog. Shh...don't tell the owners!

"OK. I'm ready."

"food.food.food.food.food.food.food.food."

gggggggggg....mmmmm.....foooood....

"OK, enough horsing around with this cereal stuff. I like sweet potato. And I don't need you to feed it to me. Gimme that! PS. check out my multi-tasking. I can hold my foot while I eat."

Apparently Sammy's second date with Claire was a success. As a baby, it seems to be socially acceptable to just wear a diaper while administering hugs.

"I am Samson! Hear me roar! and spit up at the same time."


2 comments:

  1. Oh, the joy of baby food. Sammy's cousin Nick got hooked on French baby food when he went to Paris at 6 months. The French even make better baby food! He graduated to spaghetti, this was fun. At his favorite restaurant he would take his spaghetti and stuff pieces into the holes in the parmesan cheese dispenser. This was recently . . . . no, just kidding, he doesn't do it at age 22.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on the arm-flapping thing. We've been a little concerned about this too, but are hoping the diaper provides adequate protection...

    ReplyDelete