Sunday, July 17, 2011

Weeks 11/12


Things I have learned:

-       Sometimes people might be giving Sammy a little more credit than he’s due at this point in his young life. We called the folks at NEXUS (border crossing agency that lets you skip all the lines when traveling between Canada and the US). I asked them whether he needed a Nexus card (he does) in order to get through with us. This is what they told me: “He needs his own card but don’t worry – The security checks are minimal” – Ummm….He’s 3 months old. Who exactly is he be associated with???

-       Samson lets us entertain guests in the house. To a degree. This is what Sammy’s probably thinking:
“Behave…. Behave….. I should really behave so everyone thinks I’m cool. I can show off for mom and dad. I’m going to smile. They’re holding me. This is nice. Wait….why am I being passed to this person. I’m HUNGRY! What the heck! Alright, enough nicey, nice….I’m going to tell them who’s boss….WAHHHHHHHHHH!”

-       We’ve recently been trying something called the dream feed (I hate that I listen to the damn Baby Whisperer…). This involves giving Samson about an ounce of milk while he’s sleeping before we go to bed – without waking him up. Not to make light of a serious movie, but this feels a little like when they diffuse a bomb in Hurt Locker. First comes the sweat. Then some whispered coordination between mom and dad. Then slowly creeping into the room….slow motion movement of the bottle towards Sammy’s mouth and then…..I realize that Danielle cannot figure out how to do this without hitting him in the head with the bottle. Pass bottle to dad…..resume tricky feeding plans….

-       Sammy has found a new game that keeps him occupied for long periods of time. It’s called the “Hey – look at me, I can fit my whole hand into my mouth at one time” game. Sometimes, when he’s in the mood for a big challenge he’ll play “Hey! Check this out! I can get most of my 2 hands into my mouth!” Mom and Dad: Proud.

-       It has come to our attention that Sammy is a very laid back kid. You’d think that taking him swimming for the first time in his life (by swimming I held him) might have triggered some sort of shock to him (i.e. how did I get into this giant body of water). But really, he may as well have been in his car seat…

-       Last week I literally could not get the smell of his poop out of my nose…this is terrible. I'm not looking forward to solid food.

-       We never learn our lessons as parents. Sammy knows when we brag about him, and continues to try to teach us lessons by karmically taunting us. We were hanging out with our friends Matt and Jill (with the grandparents babysitting). The conversation went like this:
Jill: How long does he sleep for?
Danielle: Most nights from 9pm to 6am
Matt: Wow! That’s awesome. So he won’t wake up tonight?
Josh: No he never… [cell phone rings]
Josh: Hello?
Grandparent: He’s up. You need to come home….

This is THE ONLY TIME he woke up in the middle of the night in the last month….

-       We ordered Samson a bigger Woombie this week. I felt mildly bad when the next up sizes were “Big baby”and then “Mega baby”! We’re not quite at Mega baby yet….

1.       The term : “Pants Protocol”
Pants Pro-t-o-col

      1.      –noun
Usually, a term used to signal that a discussion on whether pants are needed for your child on a specific occasion is needed.

2. – Abbreviation: PP

          Examples of PP discussions have included:
o   PP for a baby naming at synagogue? Pants
o   PP for a visit to a restaurant?
-  Important follow up questions needed: average cost of meal. If lower than $20, no pants required.
o   Visit with grandparents: No pants
o Visit with great grandparents: Pants
o   Engagement party in someone’s house: No Pants
o   You get the idea….

It would seem that Sammy rarely, if ever, wears pants

-       We took Sammy to a park in Montreal last week. Things you never feel good about asking yourself: “what is the effect of second hand pot smoke on a baby”? Oh, Montreal…. (note: there was some criminal activity taking place relatively close to where we were sitting but not too close...)

-       Sammy loves a good joke. When in Montreal and hanging out with uncle Gerry, he decided to play a joke during one of Gerry’s stories. Every time (during a very serious story) Gerry started talking, Sammy would poop a little in his pants. Loudly. This went on for a full 5 minutes. It was awesome!
Best adult comment of the week: 
“I hear your son has really big balls. Can I see? – {examination of the nether region takes place} oh wow…my kid’s aren’t that big!” 

Danielle quote of the week:   “We’ve got to get him new nipples”

Major developments of the week (that make us proud):
-          Clasping hands
-          Carrying on a full conversation for 20 minutes in baby babble. Incredible!
-          Inserting thumb into mouth
-          90% neck control!
-          Getting a girl's top off (Sammy met a topless Roni Dalfen last week!)
-          First co-ed sleepover with a girl (15 month old Claire Wagner was visiting.) Pants protocol: No pants.
o   Note: To those parents that have 2 kids. Good luck to you. Holy shit!

Important statistics we are tracking

-       Number of pees in a bath: 1
-       Number of baths: 6 (in 2 weeks!) way to go mom and dad….
-       Number of times people said: “OMG – he’s huge!” in the last 2 weeks: at least 20….But I prefer “
big boned” or “healthy”.
-       Number of times people in Montreal said “look at those poulkies!”: 7  - this means fat legs in yiddish…

Things we googled this week

-        “How to get a baby to burp”
-        “Different nipples for newborns” (i.e. for bottles). You can imagine what google pulled up for that one
-        “Slow vs. fast nipples” (infinite humor ensues when googling anything with the word nipple)
-        Structured sleeping for newborns

Big Thank You: Bobby Lillianfeld for his babysitting expertise (and for the hand-knitted peepee teepee.) 

Pictures for your amusement 

Date with Claire Wagner - this was seriously chaperoned to prevent any hanky panky

Grocery shopping takes on a different challenge - How to get what you need when you can only fit as much into the cart as the car seat allows. Not the most effective shopping technique...



Pictures that will bother Sammy later in life. Yes, he's wearing a diaper.

As a Canadian parent living in the US, the earlier you ingrain hockey into their blood the better...

Comparison of Sammy's diaper vs. a 2 yr old's - I am not excited for a diaper that is sized to hold that much "damage"

Eating at the big boy table. Lesson learned for dad - do not put metal fork in child's hand: they will try to put it in their eye (WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT???). Other things to note in this picture: 1) I had the espresso before dinner (I'm tired!), 2) I eat a lot.

Sammy is upset by his social faux pas of having his diaper stick out the top of his pants. How embarrassing!
4 generations of Kroo men

“Hey – look at me, I can fit my whole hand into my mouth at one time” game

Getting ready to play “Hey! Check this out! I can get most of my 2 hands into my mouth!”
So cool....
The indifferent swimmer
Engagement party PP: No pants! looking cool though with the "born to ride" onesie and pacifier

Aunt Susannah was having success with the new hold - then things took a turn for the worse....



No comments:

Post a Comment